Life is a lot of work, and it is far from being perfect. Although, you have to battle it out on more than just one occasion, feeling good about yourself shouldn’t cost anything.
Life is after all, still so beautiful. And so is that bedazzling smile on your face that wins this world over.
Reading this, if you feel not so happy about how your pearls look, then this article is just the thing you have been waiting for.
If you are facing the problem of low self-esteem because of your crooked or misaligned teeth, you should consider visiting an ‘orthodontist’ without further delay.
An ‘orthodontist’ is a dental specialist who deals primarily with rectifying the positioning of your dental structure on your jaws. An orthodontist treats and prevents any forms of a ‘malocclusion,’ or a ‘bad bite.’
This practice is interchangeably known as ‘orthodontia,’ ‘orthodontics,’ or ‘dentofacial orthopedics.’
And if you live in Monroe, NY, then we have good news for you!
Here in this guide, we have brought for you the ways of selecting the best orthodontist in Monroe, New York.
Why and When to Visit an Orthodontist?
Although an orthodontist may be recommended to you by your regular dentist, you may visit one even without a recommendation. An orthodontist specializes in treating and preventing any form of dentofacial irregularity. Malocclusion can be a result of several factors. Do consider consulting an orthodontist, if you have dental problems such as:
- Diastema or a gap between Teeth
- Malalignment of Teeth
- Open or Crossbites
- Biting the Cheek Frequently While Chewing
- Overbites or Underbites
- Disproportionate Jaws and Teeth
- Any Clicking or Popping Sound During Jaw Movement
- Crowded or Blocked-Out Dental Structure
Such dental issues can lower self-esteem and is detrimental to both health and hygiene. A faulty dental structure is difficult to care for, causing problems like tooth decay and severe gum infections. Premature tooth loss becomes a common problem due to these factors.
Parents are usually advised to have their children undergo an orthodontic screening by the age of 7. This is because the gum and dental structure are the most adaptive to orthodontic treatments at this age.
But, the good news is, orthodontic treatments are suitable for all ages, as contrary to a common misconception. So, it is not too late, even for the adults to benefit from orthodontic procedures.
What do Orthodontists Do?
Orthodontists fix the dental structure and straighten any malalignment of teeth with braces, retainers, and aligners.
Braces are the most common solution to treat misaligned teeth. The orthodontist will put strong bands around your teeth, fixing them with dental ‘brackets’ or ‘trays.’ He will then connect them using metal wires. The entire structure, in combination, pulls up your teeth and sets them straight over a significant period of time.
Retainers are fixed to the teeth structure after the braces are taken off. Retainers help to hold the newly developed dental structure and makes sure that it doesn’t lose it’s forming, once the braces come off.
Aligners, too, are used to fix misaligned teeth, and they are less conspicuous to the eyes. But, the treatments with these methods will be different for different people, depending upon the prognosis.
The duration for the treatment, generally, takes about 2-3 years. During the period of treatment, your orthodontist will suggest the measures regarding dental care for you to follow. Check-ups are usually advised every 6-10 weeks following the procedures.
Selecting the Best Orthodontist in Monroe, NY:
- Even though, your dentist may pick an orthodontist for you, make sure to check the proper credentials of any orthodontist you plan to consult with. We have listed specific guidelines to help you select only the best in Monroe, or even at other places for that matter.
- Observe how your orthodontist manages his office. This speaks a lot about his work-ethics. There should be no hidden clause when it comes to financial agreements. Policies and discounts should be thoroughly discussed. Do not hesitate to clarify any query.
- Seek recommendations from your family and friends first, to have a consensus about any orthodontist you plan on seeing.
- Since you will be making frequent trips to your orthodontist once your treatment starts, consider the kind of distance you will have to cover to reach the clinic.
- Every orthodontist is given specialized training in dentofacial orthopedics for an extra 2-3 years apart from the usual course in dental-school. Only those who have completed the entire course become members of the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) and are legally allowed to practice. Do not forget to verify their license before going ahead with the treatments.
- Make sure that he is registered under the state of New York and is board certified.
- Since children are the most frequent visitors to an orthodontist, take note of the provisions that are available for them in the office. Observe how he deals with kids and his behavior towards them.
- Avoid going to an orthodontist who keeps a messy and dirty office. Enquire about the disposition of the staff.
- Discuss with your orthodontist his plan of action for you. Study the policies and arrangements before proceeding with your plan. Make sure you get a fair deal for your money.
- Find out if you are being offered newer and advanced treatment procedures. More modern, innovative techniques can efficiently work towards procuring better results for you.
- If you want, you can shortlist the most reputed among the selected orthodontists in your locality and make short trips for inspection before deciding on one.
No matter whom you select, know that it is not just your money, but a lot more than that, which you will be entrusting your orthodontist with.
Your personality is an object of envy and attraction. And, this should not require for you to compromise with your beautiful smile.
So, Why Settle for Less When You Can Have the Best?
If you’re looking for a reliable Orthodontist Stony Point, don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Patel in Orange County Orthodontics. He’s a highly qualified and super-professional orthodontist who will ensure you end up with that enviable set of pearls you’ve been longing for.
Hope you found this guide to be as important as that smile on your face is for us. So, don’t wait any longer. Call right now!